Saturday, November 3, 2012

this weekend

Vancouver is keeping true to it's nature, and we have seriously gotten an abundance of rain. It's the last day of my weekend and keeping in tune with one of my constant goals (to save money) I try and prep food for the next few work days. Elaina's post on carrot cake made me crave it, and I decided to try my hand at making it from scratch. For some reason, I always buy carrot cake and even have made it from the box a few times over the years, but never attempted to make it from scratch. To my surprise, was super delicious! I just adapted a simple recipe from All Recipes. I cut down the sugar, added tidbits of pineapple, threw in some coconut flakes, walnuts + extra spices, and used part whole wheat flour. I think that it could have used some yogurt or apple sauce because I would have liked it to be a teeny bit more moist. Oh, and I decided to omit the frosting all together because I find even with reducing the sugar in most recipes, they are still almost too sweet.




Carrot Cake - adapted version

- 3 eggs
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 3 cups of grated carrot
- 1/2 cup of oil
- 1 ½ cup of all purpose flour
- ¾ cup of pineapple (either crushed already or chopped up fine)
- 2 tsp of baking powder
- 2 tsp of baking soda
- 2 tsp of cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg, clove, & salt
- handful of roughly chopped walnuts & organic coconut flakes ( I probably would have used pecans, but I didn't have any on hand)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, mix all ingredients together (do not overmix). I baked mine in a loaf pan for around 40mins, until a toothpick came out completely clean. Let cool, and devour!  I might try and grate some lime zest in next time too. Maybe 

PS: This has been the perfect music to listen to while baking and knitting in pj's.
PPS: I am so thankful that the worst my family had to deal with was downed trees in PA, but know that others weren't so unfortunate.

4 comments:

  1. I've never had carrot cake with pineapple pieces in it! Interesting twist on a classic :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It added such a nice flavour and kept it all from being dry for up to about a week in a sealed container!

      Delete
  2. this is soooo delayed, but you should totally check out the rebar cookbook carrot cake. It sounds pretty similar and has been awesome when I've made it. Actually...I have the recipe, I'm just going to email it to you...I need to bake less...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, it's perfect timing considering I am finally beginning to become more active online again, haha. Also, I just made another version last night, with some zucchini as well as golden raisins thrown in and can't wait to get the recipe from you!

      Delete